Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Somalia" by K'naan

Just killing some time here at the Branch offices before I catch my bus, so I thought I'd share a quick video of an artist that I think has a ton of creative potential as he masterfully combines elements of hip hop, rap, reggae, and african tribal song in his tunes. His name is K'naan and he is originally from Mogadishu, Somalia, but is now based in Toronto. He's on A&M/Octone and has recently toured with Snoop Dogg and is headed out on tour with Matisyahu in June.



I really dig this video because it not only syncs powerful images with the song's lyrical content (addressing issues like poverty, pirating, immigration) but also has a greater sense of "realness" to it as it doesn't have the production quality and cohesion that some of his other videos do. The video establishes a tight organic vibe that allows the images and lyrics to work with one another rather than overshadow one another.

Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers