Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Wilds of Going There

The wild awaits my step.

I enter a wild that may not compare to the icy expanses of Alaska or the deep forests of Northern California, but nonetheless I consider it a wild. Wilds challenge and call into question the capabilities a person. I may not raise a sharpened machete to crisscrossed thickets of vine and foliage, but I aim to breakdown what this year and the people in it have meant to me.

Tomorrow, I embark on a trip that will cover over 2000 miles. It will extend from my Midwestern roots to the depths of the South and on to the Floridian coast of Panama City. Some have asked why have I chosen to take a Greyhound instead of a speedy flight through the skies? My answer has been to allow myself the time to dig within my ribcage. The time to look out windows and grasp the highways, cities, and small towns beyond their concrete, gas stations and population signs. Sure I may be just passing through them, but at least I will have been there and felt them and tried to experience something beyond their skin.

In addition to the 32 hours of reflection, writing, and reading that await me, I am also longing for the destination itself. In Panama City, Florida I will be meeting with the representatives of Branch Records, who I have recently signed with. Once there, I will be playing a show with some of the other bands (including the Carolinas and The Cries Of) on the label and touring Branch's facilities.

As one who does not always deal with change the best, I have never been more excited for the new territory this trip could bring.

New people and places await on that road tomorrow and I am going to try to share as much of the adventure as I can with you as I will be keeping a small road journal and documenting the goings on of the trip through photos.

Stay tuned and please check out my album "Lakes" by American Fiction on itunes (as it was just released today!).

With glasses raised,

Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers